“Homer the Heretic,” season 4, episode 3
Alright, Simpsons lovers, you asked for it. The time has come to make Homer’s infamous moon waffles. Prepare yourself. In Season 4’s “Homer the Heretic,” Homer has the best day of his life while skipping church. It consists of:
Staying in bed
Peeing with the door open
Saying “ass” really loudly
Doing the Risky Business dance in his undies
Making his “patented space age out of this world moon waffles”
Finding a penny
Read the rest of the article here and find recipes below.
Homer’s Patented Space Age Out of This World Moon Waffles
a stick of butter
- Heat up your waffle iron. Open and add a handful of caramel candies. Top with too much waffle batter, and WAY too much liquid smoke. Shut the lid and step away (and maybe open a window or two).
- Once the waffle is done cooking, open and carefully peel off the waffle. You’ll leave plenty of caramel and burnt stuff behind (mmm…burnt stuff).
- Wrap it around a stick of butter as best you can and poke with toothpicks until it stays together. Eat like a hot dog that squirts melted butter while sitting in your living room in whitie tighties. Instead of using a napkin, let the dog lick up your mess. Leave the waffle iron for Marge to clean up.
Brown Butter Moon Waffles with Smoky Syrup
makes 4 waffles
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ½ cups flour
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 ¾ cups buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
Butter or cooking spray for the waffle iron
½ to ¾ cup maple syrup
1 to 2 drops of liquid smoke
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a small saucepan. Stir and swirl occasionally, and let cook until the butter is a toasty brown, but not burnt. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and cooled butter and whisk just until combined.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray or brush with butter. Add batter and cook according to waffle iron instructions—typically until steam stops escaping and the waffle is browned and crisp on the outside.
- Serve immediately or place waffle on cooling rack set inside a cookie sheet in a warm oven until all of the waffles are done cooking.
- To make the syrup, mix maple syrup with one or two drops of liquid smoke. Serve the waffles with syrup and preferably bacon.