“Miracle on Evergreen Terrace,” season 9, episode 10
The holidays are upon us, and as Bart would say, “Christmas is the time of year when people of all religions come together to worship Jesus Christ.” Amen. Since The Simpsons has a decent number of Christmas-themed episodes (starting with the very first one, penned by the great Mimi Pond), this month’s edition of Cooking The Simpsons calls for a holiday treat. I picked one of my favorite holiday episodes: Season 9’s “Miracle on Evergreen Terrace.” Read the rest of the article here.
Marge’s Christmas Cut-Outs
1 recipe sugar cookie cut-outs, store-bought or homemade (I used this recipe)
1 small tube of black icing
2 cups powdered sugar
3 to 5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
red food coloring
green food coloring
special equipment: Christmas tree cookie cutter, rolling pin, 3 sandwich bags (zip top), scissors
- Mix up, roll out, cut, and bake cookies according to package or recipe instructions.
- Let cool completely.In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and just enough milk to make it mixable and smooth but not overly runny.
- Reserving a few tablespoons to lighten up the black icing, put at least 2/3 of the icing in one bowl (for green) and the rest in another bowl (for red). Color with food coloring. Spoon into separate sandwich bags, squeeze out the air, and zip the top.
- Mix the black icing with the reserved white icing to make grey. Add to the third sandwich bag.
- Snip one bottom edge of each sandwich bag to make a small hole for the icing. The hole should be big enough for the icing to escape but not so big that you don’t have control when the icing squeezes out.
- Decorate the Christmas trees by drawing a green border about ¼-inch for the edge and then filling it in.
- Decorate the bloody spear heads by using the same technique with the grey icing (using a knife to help it fill in if it’s too thick), and then using the red icing to draw dripping blood on the top and edges of the spear.
- Let dry for several hours. Or just eat them, Homer style. Mmm…bloody spears.