“Cape Feare” season 5, episode 2
It’s time for a classic, top-notch Sideshow Bob episode. Bob is sending bloody, threatening letters to Bart from prison, scaring the living hell out of him and giving new meaning to the surfer tune “Wipe Out.” He’s released on parole even though he’s sporting a big DIE BART, DIE chest tattoo and an OUCH, MAN back tattoo.
The police rig up the house and a hired man begs Bob to leave, but he persists. The family (now The Thompsons) moves to Terror Lake with Bob attached to the undercarriage. Bart is too scared to sleep, and Homer isn’t helping. He runs in the room and yells “BART, YOU WANT SOME BROWNIE BEFORE YOU GO TO BED?!” with a butcher knife and a pan of hot brownies. He follows that up by running in wearing a hockey mask and brandishing a chainsaw. Real chill.
Sideshow Bob takes off with the houseboat and Bart, ready to finally murder him. Bart stalls by asking him to sing the entire score of the H.M.S. Pinafore, and Bob delivers in spectacular fashion. He’s distracted long enough for them to come upon the police at a brothel and they bake him away, toys.
Brownies! Scary ones! Cut them with a giant butcher knife and serve piping hot to your terrified child. This is a variation on my Big Pile of Brownies recipe in The Unofficial Simpsons Cookbook. It comes out August 3rd and you can preordered it noooow!
Homer’s Scary Brownies
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×9 baking pan.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until the butter is melted and the sugar is beginning to melt.
- In another bowl, use a fork to mix together the eggs, cocoa powder, and vanilla into a paste. Add the butter and sugar while mixing and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, espresso, salt, and chocolate chips. Stir just until combined.
- Add the batter to the baking pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for 27 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only moist crumbs attached (avoiding the chocolate chips).
- Let cool and cut or serve them hot and scary!