“Lisa the Vegetarian,” season 7, episode 5
When I think about food and The Simpsons, I immediately think of season 7’s “Lisa the Vegetarian.” The episode is essentially all about food, centering around Lisa’s struggle to reconcile her veggie beliefs with her father’s unending love of meat. It’s also simply an awesome episode of TV.
Near the end of Lisa’s veggie journey, she discovers that Apu is also vegetarian and meets his friends Paul and Linda McCartney on the Kwik-E-Mart roof. Paul mentions that if you play “Maybe I’m Amazed” backwards, you’ll hear a recipe for a “really ripping lentil soup.” “Maybe I’m Amazed” plays during the final credits, and you can hear Paul reading his recipe, well, backwards. Read the rest of the article here and find the McCartney’s recipe below.
Paul and Linda McCartney’s Lentil Soup
2 T vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup lentils
1 bay leaf
1 T freshly chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
- Add the oil to a medium pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is mostly translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and parsley and stir. Cook 1 more minute until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the lentils and stir. Add the broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and cover.
- Reduce to a simmer. Cook according to the lentils’ package directions. Whole green lentils typically take 40-45 minutes.
- Taste to make sure the lentils are tender and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Tips to make this lentil soup more “ripping”:
– Reserve some extra fresh parsley to add at the very end before serving.
– Add a pinch of cumin or paprika at the beginning for a bit of smoky spice.
– Add a squeeze of lemon juice at the end for added freshness.
– If you’re not vegan (Apu won’t judge you too harshly), top with a grating of Parmesan or a dollop of sour cream.